HOW TO GET A WEBSITE DESIGN THAT TRULY STANDS OUT
GET your free quote today!
Simply fill out the information below and let us know what your requirements are and we’ll connect you with one of our account managers for a free quote
Table of Contents
- What is a Web Designer?
- Why is Web Design Important?
- Important Skills and Traits of Web Designers
- Where to Hire Web Designers
- Hiring Considerations
- C9 Digital Web Designers
What is a Web Designer?
A spider’s web has one purpose: to catch prey and hold it until the spider is able to come along and turn it into a protein shake. Yummy!
A website pretty much has the same purpose (maybe that’s the reason it’s also called a web… site – you get what I mean). It is to “catch” your audience’s attention and “hold” it long enough for you to turn him into a customer. In order for your website to perform this function, it needs to be well-designed and well-built. That’s what a web designer does.
Web design services are inclusive of designing the layout, visual appearance and overall usability of your website. This entails a combination of creative chops and technical skill. A good website designer is able to visualize the user interface (UI) of a website and execute the design in such a way that it is intuitive enough to provide a positive user experience (UX).
Because of the creative element of a web designer’s job, he can sometimes be confused with a graphic designer. Most (if not all) web designers are also graphic designers because such skill makes their work a lot easier. However, not all graphic designers know web design. A remote web designer is simply one that works offsite.
A web designer is also commonly mistaken for a web developer. A web developer works on the code and programming needed to make the web design work. For example, a web designer will design a website feature where a tab changes color and reveals a menu when you hover your cursor over it. The web developer does the code and programming that makes the action happen.
Why is Web Design Important?
Your website is your business’ digital face. Effective web design is important because it has a direct impact on how your brand is perceived by your audience. This goes beyond mere first impression. A properly executed web design inspires confidence and trust.
Think about it, will you purchase anything from a website that has misspellings, tabs that are not working, misplaced graphics and an interface that’s all over the place? Will you trust their customer service? I don’t think so.
Web design also helps with your search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. This is because part of effective web design is how content is published on your website. Even the code used in the different elements of your website directly affects how search engine spiders (seriously, that’s what they’re called!) crawl and index your site.
But perhaps, the most important reason why you need to put serious thought into getting good website design services is because your competition is doing it. You’d want your business to stand out from the competition and part of that is having a web design that truly kicks butt.
Important Skills and Traits of Web Designers
Rich technical skills combined with a creative sense inasmuch as designing the UI/UX element of the website makes for a rockstar web designer. He must know enough of human nature to understand what makes the interface intuitive and easy to use.
There are different kinds of websites. Awareness of which web design goes with which kind of website is very important. An ecommerce website has a different design from a service website. A sales website is designed differently from a squeeze page. No matter how good a web design is executed, if it does not match the website type, that’s like a spider putting a warning sign near his web.
Where To Find Web Designers
So the big question now is, where do you find web designers? You know how Spider-Man scans police frequencies to find out where his help is needed? Is there some sort of radio frequency that web designers listen to in order to find out who needs their services?
First off, you need to decide whether you want to hire a local web designer or a remote one.
The advantages of hiring locally include:
- Ease of access and the ability to work with you personally – it’s always easier to work with someone face to face.
- Less cultural and social adjustment needed – you’re most probably living in the same city as your designer so you’re in the same time zone, speak the same language and share the same culture. This makes work so much smoother.
- Better team-building opportunities – being in the same place physically creates plenty of opportunity to train, collaborate, build rapport, and get feedback.
On the other hand, hiring local talent can have the following disadvantages:
- Specific skill sets can be harder to find – if you’re limited to a particular geographical area, finding a rockstar will be challenging.
- Overhead expenses – if you hire locally, you’ll be obligated to keep an office which means you have to pay rent, pay for supplies, pay for electricity and other utilities. If you already have an office, you’ll have to provide your new hire with a work space which translates to the same thing – increased overhead.
If you decide to hire a remote worker, you need to decide if you’re hiring a project-based web designer or a full-time one. In any case, here are the advantages of hiring remote talent:
- Access to a global pool of talents – you’re not limited to who’s available in your city and what they know. Hiring remotely gives you access to talented web designers from different countries who may even charge relatively smaller fees than local recruits. This is true to both project-based freelancers and full-timers.
- Little to no overhead – most remote workers work from home so you don’t need to worry about providing them with work spaces. This is especially true for project-based freelancers. However, for full-time employees, you may be required to subsidize their internet connection, computer equipment etc. But these costs are still far less compared to local overhead expenses.
- Less contractual obligation – you can hire web designers on a per-project basis. If you like their work, continue to give them projects to work on. If you don’t, just don’t give them any more tasks to perform and that’s that.
On the other hand, here are the disadvantages of hiring remote workers:
- Trial and error – you can’t really gauge the level of expertise, experience and even work ethic of the remote worker until you take a leap of faith and hire them. The good news is, if you don’t like their performance on the first project, you can just part ways right then and there.
- Time constraints – if you hire a remote web designer, particularly a freelancer, you need to understand right off the bat that you’re probably sharing him with several other clients (some paying more than you). That means your project is at the mercy of the freelancer’s workload. This may not be the case, though, with full-time remote employees.
That being said, here are a few places where you can find web designers online. Note that in some of these websites, you’ll have the option to hire either locally or remotely. It’s all up to you, your needs and your budget:
- Monster (local and remote) – although Monster now caters to remote worker needs, its strength still lies in sourcing local talents. All you need to do is search “web designer”, narrow down your search by location and experience, and you’re off to the races.
- Upwork (local and remote) – geared more towards the US market. You can post a web design job, and available contractors can start lining up to apply. All you’d need to do is choose the best candidate. This is a good place to look for either part-timers or full-time web designers.
- People Per Hour (remote and local) – geared more towards the European market. Just like Upwork, you post a job and contractors will apply. You can choose the best candidate and go from there. This is also a good place to look for either part-timers or full-time web designers.
- C9 Digital (remote) – specializes in providing remote staffing services from the Philippines. It is considered a concierge service where you don’t simply hire a web designer (or any other kind of remote worker for that matter), you hire a web designer with an entire management service behind him to keep him accountable and always on his toes. This is ideal for people looking to hire the best and expecting to get the best while keeping costs relatively competitive.
When looking to hire web designers, whether it be local or remote, there are a few important considerations you have to keep in mind.
What kind of web design jobs are you offering? Is it a product website, a service website, an ecommerce website, a sales funnel, a squeeze page or a personal website? Is it going to be a one-off project or do you have a series of projects in your pipeline?
Next, what level of experience or proficiency would you like your remote web designer to have? Would you be okay with a mid-level designer or are you looking for a senior level designer?
Finally, how much do you have to spend on the project? Do you have just enough for a one-off deal? Is your pocket deep enough for a part-time or even a full-time recruit? Are you ready to spend good money on a senior-level web designer salary or is your budget pointing towards a mid-level one?
C9 Digital Web Designers
Here at C9 Digital, we have remote web designers in all levels of proficiency. Whether you need mid-level designers (with 1-3 years experience) or senior level designers (with 4 years experience or more), we have one that fits your needs.
Expertise is also not a problem because we have web designers who specialize in product websites, service websites, ecommerce websites, sales funnels, squeeze pages or even personal websites. Whatever your website design needs are, we got you covered.
And since our web designers are based in the Philippines, communication is not a problem because we speak excellent English. In fact, most of our remote workers have English as their second language so you don’t have to worry about your message getting lost in translation.
Hiring our remote web designers can help you save up to 70% in payroll costs without the corresponding loss in the quality of work. We train our web designers to “live inside the client’s business” in order to truly deliver what the client wants and needs.
So, are you finally ready to hire a web designer? Let’s talk.
Hire the best web designer
from c9 digital
OUR CLIENTS SPEAK
Amax Group USA
Leon Authentic Mexican Grill
PALAYA NATURAL FARM
OUR CLIENTS SPEAK
SPEAK WITH US
We're happy to provide you a free strategy session and discuss whether our services are the right fit for your needs.