WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE HIRING A SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETER
GET your free quote today!
Simply fill out the information below and let us know what your requirements are and we’ll connect you with one of our account managers for a free quote
Table of Contents
- What is a Social Media Marketer?
- Why is a Social Media Marketer Important?
- Important Skills and Traits of a Social Media Marketer
- Where to Hire Social Media Marketers?
- Hiring Considerations
- C9 Digital Social Media Marketers
What is a Social Media Marketer?
Social Media Marketing, as the name implies, is leveraging social media platforms to enhance sales, branding and conversions. Thus, it is the responsibility of a Social Media Marketer to make sure a company’s social media is optimized for audience engagement that will ultimately lead to an enhanced branding image, increased conversions and, most importantly, more sales.
However, not all Social Media Marketing operations deliberately point towards sales. Depending on the kind of business, some Social Media Marketers use social media platforms strictly in a non-sales application. In other cases, some Social Media Marketers use different social media platforms to drive different metrics. This is fast becoming the more acceptable and most practiced approach.
Many social media marketing services in the Philippines and in other countries are set up in a flexible way. It is the responsibility of a Social Media Marketer to find out which approach will work best depending on the kind of business that’s being run.
That being said, a Social Media Marketer is sometimes used interchangeably with Social Media Manager. It is important to note that social media management focuses more on the actual use of social media while social media marketing entails using a strategy to use social media to generate leads for the business. If you are to choose between hiring a Social Media Manager and a Social Media Marketer, go for the latter. This is because not all Social Media Managers can do marketing, but all Social Media Marketers can do management.
Why is a Social Media Marketer Important?
A Social Media Marketer is an essential member of any marketing team because he or she is able to leverage one of the most important lead generation avenues of our time – social media.
4.5 billion people today use the internet. Almost 85% of that number or 3.8 billion people are on social media. That means if you don’t have a Social Media Marketer in your team, especially one who knows what to do, you’re missing out big time.
As said earlier, a Social Media Marketer decides the best social media marketing approach depending on the kind of business being run. While some believe that running a strong marketing message across all social media platforms is sound strategy, more astute marketers believe otherwise. After all, there is such a thing as “over-marketing” or “over-selling”.
Mature Social Media Marketers nowadays, employ a distributed strategy when it comes to Social Media Marketing. For example, platforms such as Pinterest, Instagram and Youtube can be used to enhance branding and image; Twitter and LinkedIn can be used to drive engagement and conversations in order to find out what the market wants; and finally, Facebook can be used to drive sales.
Important Skills and Traits of a Social Media Marketer
In order to be effective, a Social Media Marketer needs to possess a certain skill set and certain character traits:
- Above Average Analytical Skills – Social Media Marketing requires a high analytical ability. A Social Media Marketer formulates and executes a marketing strategy that not only fits the business, but also takes advantage of each social media platform’s strengths.
- Effective Communication – he should be able to explain his strategy and justify why he’s doing this or that inasmuch as social media marketing is concerned.
- Marketing and Advertising Skills – this is self-explanatory.
- Critical Thinking –a good part of a Social Media Marketer’s job is solving problems.
- Ability to adapt quickly – an essential part of a Social Media Marketer’s job is making changes and adjustments to running campaigns on the fly.
- Being receptive to new things – Social Media Marketing, just like any kind of marketing campaign, is dynamic and ever-changing. A Social Media Marketer needs to have an endless supply of curiosity and desire to learn – not to mention patience and a thick skin.
Where to Find Social Media Marketers?
Like it was said earlier, a Social Media Marketer is different from a Social Media Manager. If you can only have one, look specifically for a Social Media Marketer because chances are, he knows how to manage social media. Whereas, a Social Media Manager may not know a thing about marketing.
The first thing you need to decide when deciding to hire a Social Media Marketer is whether you want to hire local or a remote.
The advantages of hiring locally include:
- Ease of access and the ability to work with you personally – it’s always easier to work with someone face to face.
- Less cultural and social adjustment needed – you’re most probably living in the same city as your designer so you’re in the same time zone, speak the same language and share the same culture. This makes work so much smoother.
- Better team-building opportunities – being in the same place physically creates plenty of opportunity to train, collaborate, build rapport, and get feedback.
On the other hand, hiring local talent can have the following disadvantages:
- Specific skill sets can be harder to find – if you’re limited to a particular geographical area, finding a rockstar will be challenging.
- Overhead expenses – if you hire locally, you’ll be obligated to keep an office which means you have to pay rent, pay for supplies, pay for electricity and other utilities. If you already have an office, you’ll have to provide your new hire with a work space which translates to the same thing – increased overhead.
If you decide to hire a remote worker, you need to decide if you’re hiring a project-based Social Media Marketer or a full-time one. In any case, here are the advantages of hiring remote talent:
- Access to a global pool of talents – you’re not limited to who’s available in your city and what they know. Hiring remotely gives you access to talented Social Media Marketers from different countries who may even charge relatively smaller fees than local recruits. This is true to both project-based freelancers and full-timers.
- Little to no overhead – most remote workers work from home so you don’t need to worry about providing them with work spaces. This is especially true for project-based freelancers. However, for full-time employees, you may be required to subsidize their internet connection, computer equipment etc. But these costs are still far less compared to local overhead expenses.
- Less contractual obligation – you can hire Social Media Marketers on a per-project basis. If you like their work, continue to give them projects to work on. If you don’t, just don’t give them any more tasks to perform and that’s that.
On the other hand, here are the disadvantages of hiring remote workers:
- Trial and error – you can’t really gauge the level of expertise, experience and even work ethic of the remote worker until you take a leap of faith and hire them. The good news is, if you don’t like their performance on the first project, you can just part ways right then and there.
- Time constraints – if you hire a remote web designer, particularly a freelancer, you need to understand right off the bat that you’re probably sharing him with several other clients (some paying more than you). That means your project is at the mercy of the freelancer’s workload. This may not be the case, though, with full-time remote employees.
That being said, here are a few places where you can find Social Media Marketers online. Note that in some of these websites, you’ll have the option to hire either locally or remotely. It’s all up to you, your needs and your budget:
- Monster (local and remote) – although Monster now caters to remote worker needs, its strength still lies in sourcing local talents. All you need to do is search “Social Media Marketer”, narrow down your search by location and experience, and you’re off to the races.
- Upwork (local and remote) – geared more towards the US market. You can post a Social Media Marketer job, and available contractors can start lining up to apply. All you’d need to do is choose the best candidate. This is a good place to look for either part-timers or full-time Social Media Marketers.
- People Per Hour (remote and local) – geared more towards the European market. Just like Upwork, you post a job and contractors will apply. You can choose the best candidate and go from there. This is also a good place to look for either part-timers or full-time Social Media Marketers.
- C9 Digital (remote) – specializes in providing remote staffing services from a global pool of talents, including social media marketing service from the Philippines and other countries. It is considered a concierge service where you don’t simply hire a Social Media Marketer (or any other kind of remote worker for that matter), you hire a Social Media Marketer with an entire management service behind him to keep him accountable and always on his toes. This is ideal for people looking to hire the best and expecting to get the best while keeping costs relatively competitive.
When looking to hire a Social Media Marketer, whether it be local or remote, there are a few important considerations you have to keep in mind.
Do you already have a social media marketing campaign running that you want to boost? Or is this your first venture into social media marketing? Do you already have a team in place such as a copywriter, a media buyer, an SEO Specialist and you just need a kickass Social Media Marketer to complete it? Or are you planning to build a team around your Social Media Marketer?
Is it going to be a one-off project or do you have a series of projects in your pipeline?
Next, what level of experience or proficiency would you like your Social Media Marketer to have? Would you be okay with a mid-level specialist or are you looking for a senior level one?
Finally, how much do you have to spend? Do you have just enough for a one-off deal? Is your pocket deep enough for a part-time or even a full-time recruit? Are you ready to spend good money on a senior-level Social Media Marketer salary or is your budget pointing towards a mid-level one?
C9 Digital Social Media Marketers
Here at C9 Digital, we have Social Media Marketers in all levels of proficiency. Whether you need mid-level marketers (with 1-3 years experience) or senior level marketers (with 4 years experience or more), we have one that fits your needs. In fact, we provide the best social media marketing service in the Philippines.
Expertise is also not a problem because we have Social Media Marketers who specialize all kinds of social media platforms. Whether it’s Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Tiktok, Youtube, Snapchat or whatever, got you covered.
Communication is not a problem because our Social Media Marketers speak excellent English. In fact, most of our remote workers have English as their second language so you don’t have to worry about your message getting lost in translation.
Hiring our remote Social Media Marketer can help you save up to 70% in payroll costs without the corresponding loss in the quality of work. We train our Social Media Marketers to “live inside the client’s business” in order to truly deliver what the client wants and needs.
So, are you finally ready to hire an Social Media Marketer? Let’s talk.
social media marketer
from c9 digital
OUR CLIENTS SPEAK
Amax Group USA
Leon Authentic Mexican Grill
PALAYA NATURAL FARM